Public Speaking is speaking in front of a group of people in a structured manner, it can be talking in front of strangers or talking in front of people you know (friends/ family). And not necessarily always on the stage.
For example, giving a speech in front of class/ at family celebrations/ in an auditorium with a lot of people, answering a question in the class by standing up, singing a song in front of guests who come home for dinner etc.
You might wonder, why is public speaking useful? Well, here are a few reasons why:
- With practice, it helps you overcome nervousness in new environments
- It helps you become more confident of your thoughts and ideas
- It improves your listening skills when you tackle the questions asked back to you
- It enhances your communication skills when you learn to speak on the same topic in different ways, more powerfully, more energetically, more creatively
- It enhances your social skills since you get comfortable more easily with new people